We knit curtains for the kitchen with our own hands: schemes + photos in the interior
Kitchen arrangement is an endless process. Constantly born ideas for improving the interior and adding new accents. Some elements of the decor can be changed by season and mood, for example, curtains. Knowing how to tie curtains to the kitchen with a crochet with your own hands, it’s enough to find interesting schemes on the Internet to create a whole set of openwork curtains for a kitchen window or a doorway. The most difficult dilemma is the choice of the variety of knitting techniques. And the result – a window or door, decorated with a unique curtain.
Preparing for knitting
Knitted curtains are created from various types of yarn and often experiment with combining materials. An openwork pattern harmoniously complements the curtains made of cotton fabrics or silk. The idea is suitable for beginner craftsmen – it’s worth starting with a simple border. The start of the process is preceded by careful preparation. Otherwise, you have to be distracted by the purchase of missing accessories.
Tips for choosing the material and fabric for knitting
Threads for crocheting are made from natural and synthetic fibers. Artificial origin of the second does not mean that they are inferior to cotton or linen analogs. The wealth of choice is impressive:
- Cotton. The most popular is the fine yarn made of mercerized cotton – “Iris”. Special treatment makes the surface of the fibers smooth, shiny. During work, the yarn is not twisted and does not get tangled. The color scheme includes a large number of tones. Quality fibers are not susceptible to molting, burnout or discoloration.
- Linen. The texture of the threads is not silky, the colors are rich in colors, if no artificial components are added (polyester fiber). But there is restraint of natural tones, and finished products have an expressive texture. Drawbacks include difficulties when ironing.
- Bamboo. Threads have the same properties as linen, with a significant difference – bamboo does not crumple and is easily smoothed. It is absolutely hypoallergenic.
- Acrylic. The yarn is silky, shiny, evenly colored. It is easy to work with – virtually eliminating twisting and tangling. The mating is even, equal in density, without distortions. The color gamut is infinite and depends on the capabilities of the manufacturer. Acrylic threads are considered universal – they perfectly match with various fabrics. The only drawback – artificiality, which can disappoint the adherents of natural materials.
Note! At the first acquaintance on the sample take one skein, knit a small sample, wash, dry and smooth according to the instructions on the label. After the tests, they decide to purchase the required quantity.
Choice of color and model
The general style of the interior is the key factor on which the appearance of future knitted curtains depends. In the national tradition, the perception of knitted curtains and other handicrafts as a “grandmother” inheritance has developed.
Organic and naturally crocheted crochet looks in the style of country, Provencal or classical. This does not mean that modern design does not accept knitted accessories.
When choosing a color, they follow their own preferences and match the interior:
- A win-win option is white. Refreshes the overall look, the room becomes elegant and homely at the same time.
- In the main tone in the kitchen. Gives a sense of completeness to the interior, harmoniously coexists with previously selected accessories and decorative elements.
- Contrast variant. Bright knitted curtains attract attention and become the main element that determines the style. Depending on the model and pattern, they are impressed with daring design without village motives.
It is more difficult to determine the model. An experienced knitter can easily undertake the creation of a set of long curtains on the windows and kitchen doors with additional accessories – lambrequin, an elastic band for keeping the cloth.
Beginner needlewomen often perform a knitted border for a finished curtain as a first job or knit a small curtain, for example, half the window. The debut experience of crochet helps to decide on further plans and intentions, teaches you to calculate strengths and opportunities.
Among the models are:
- long knitted curtains on windows and interior openings;
- short knitted curtains for kitchen with brushes and without;
- knitted lambrequins;
- Curtains according to the size of the window glass or individual parts of the binding;
- knitted fringing or fringe on textile curtains.
Note! Before the beginning of the main process, knit a sample, measure the length and width, wash and iron according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. Then compare the initial and final parameters. Reception helps to determine the level of shrinkage of the fabric and accurately calculate the dimensions of the knitted curtains.
Choosing patterns for the curtain
In the network and specialized magazines a description of a huge number of patterns is presented. You can come up with your own story and tie in unique curtains. The main criterion is the overall style of the kitchen. Solutions can be different:
- Duplicate ornament. Universal is a non-binding option, which harmoniously combines the plotlessness of the composition, elegance and creativity. The abstract knitted patterns, lovely hearts, flowers or ethnic motifs are equally attractive.
- Subject curtain. Own artwork is an ideal option for creating a cozy atmosphere in the kitchen. The picture can be monophonic or color, and knitted subjects – from a pair of enamored cats to lacy landscapes on the window.
- Patterned bottom of the curtains. A great solution for short curtains. Knitted brushes, plant motifs, insects, light spiders, geometric figures – there are many variants, and each is good in its own way.
- Knitted openwork patterns with lots of air. Ideal for windows facing north – fewer obstacles to daylight.
Note! Effectively look knitted brushes in the lower part of the short curtains of the arched type. The reception is good for a small kitchen. Massive curtains conceal space, short – visually increase, and a long fringe creates a feeling of lightness and completeness of the composition.
Calculation of the amount of yarn
One of the key steps in preparing for crocheting is the calculation of threads. It is not difficult to buy a couple of additional skeins, but lots of natural yarn slightly differ in color. Economic viability also matters.
When planning large projects, it is more profitable to buy not bobbins, but bobbins. Be sure to pay attention to whether the threads are designed for manual knitting by crocheting or only by machine. The manufacturer usually indicates how many yards of yarn is needed for every 100 grams.
The length varies from 1500-1600 m to 500-700. The thinner the thread, the more meters in one gram. This is reflected in the labeling on the label – the fine yarn is always larger than the thick one.
If several threads are twisted, the number is fractional. The designation 8/2 is deciphered as follows: 8-thickness of the yarn (8 m per gram), denominator 2 – the number of yarns. To knit curtains crochet more often use yarn in one thread.
To simplify the calculations, proceed as follows:
- make a small sample with dense and delicate elements or a completed fragment;
- calculate the area of the sample and then the total S of the knitted product;
- dissolve the fragment and measure the length of the yarn;
- constitute the proportion where the known quantities are S of the sample and the total area, the length of the yarn required for the control piece, and the unknown is the total length of the yarn. Example: 10 square meters. cm took 8 m thread. Therefore, for 1000 square meters. cm 800 m thread is needed;
- tentatively determine the weight and load on the cornice.
Note! When washing yarn, especially from natural fibers without the addition of synthetics, loses 5-10% of the weight.
Knitting patterns and techniques
The most common methods of crocheting are based on two basic principles: air loops are combined with columns of various types – without a crochet and a crochet in one or more strands. The diagrams indicate all the components of the pattern and the required number of elements. Also, crocheting techniques are singled out.
The basis is the creation of a sirloin grid, consisting of one column with a crochet and two air loops. To obtain a pattern, the cells are filled with cusps. The result is an imitation lace fillet – knitted mesh, which embroider various patterns. When crocheting a pattern is created in parallel with the grid, alternating empty and filled cells.
Description of equipment:
- To create rectangles, the hook is inserted into the middle of the upper part of the column;
- their number always corresponds to the number of air loops – the cells are smooth, without any distortions;
- when crocheting several consecutive filled cells between each two bars there is a common (middle). If there are three bars in each cell of the circuit, then in the next two cells there will be not 6 but 5 elements;
- when fixing the columns under the arch of the air loops of the previous row, the cells are formed in a staggered order – the “French grid” is obtained;
- work knit in the longitudinal and transverse direction – the circuits serve as a guide.
Detailed description in the video tutorial:
Bruges knitted lace is a complicated technique. However, the end result is worth the effort – beautiful knitted ornaments are obtained. Perfectly suited for creating a knitted border curtains of fabric or a supplement to the bottom of the curtain, made in another technique.
Work begins with a braid, which is then combined into a composition with the help of posts without a crochet or half a column. Depending on the composition, voids are filled with air loops during or after the end of the process.
Bruges crochet is an alternative to Vologda lace, for which special equipment and bobbins are needed. Knits are in no way inferior in ease and grace, but ideas are boundless.
Detailed description on the video:
The features include:
- lace can be completely tied with patterns of braid;
- a combination of fragments of delicate and dense mating;
- floristic compositions and geometric figures (rhombuses, squares) are used as connecting elements;
- To avoid seals on the bends of the braid, on the inner side of the bend perform half the columns, and from the outside – the columns with the crochet.
Brugge lace is suitable for creating knitted compositions of several colors, and the schemes allow you to combine fragments of different shapes and patterns into one.
Irish knitted lace is a beautiful and sophisticated technique. The success of the performance is based on the observance of two rules – a well-considered pattern and composition. The components of the future figure are knitted separately, then the parts are joined together.
It is important for beginners to rely on detailed schemes, since even such obvious friends as a flower and a leaf can not be friends with each other. Masters clearly observe the proportionality and proportions of the elements and are not distracted from the scheme.
Description of the technique (on the example of knitting a flower with 5 petals):
- Knitting starts with the winding of the core on a round object of small diameter (hook handle, pencil). Do about 16 turns.
- The ring is removed from the base, stretches the hook through all the threads and binds the core 20 with loops. To obtain additional volume, the substrate is knitted twice.
- At the exit point of the thread, 6 air loops are recruited and a cape is made, passing one loop through the diameter of the core.
- Pass the hook through the next loop and knit a column with one overhang.
- Make 4-5 nacs and hold out the hook. It turns out to be a bent column inside the petal.
- Repeat steps 4-6 until a full circle passes. As a result, a flower is formed from 5 petals.
- “Pull” the petals, alternating one half-shell without a crochet and 6 half-columns with a cuff with the next group;
- Each group is fixed in the center of the upper part of the petal.
- A connecting loop is tied at the base between the petals.
- Repeat steps 8-10 until all the petals are tied.
- Cut and fasten the thread.
Step-by-step video master-class:
Note! Finished details are superimposed on a pre-tied braid, sirloin, French
or decorative mesh.
Brumstick is rightly considered an exotic technique. Her homeland is Peru. The usual name was born in Europe and translated from English means “a stick from a broomstick”. The role of the stick is carried out by a thick knitting needle, on which strings are threaded.
Broomstick includes air loops, columns without a crochet or with a crochet and a special element – elongated loops, with which help unique colorful or monochrome drawings are created.
Description of equipment:
- dial a chain of air loops in the amount indicated in the diagram;
- make a row of columns without a crochet;
- from each draw a long loop and put on a thick needle or ruler;
- remove a few loops according to the scheme and tie in them 5 columns without a crochet. The reception is repeated the required number of times.
The number of loops, columns and connecting elements can vary – this results in different knitted patterns. With hinges, the brumstick forms the lower edge or the side part of the curtain made of fabric.
A detailed video lesson:
Note! Crochet curtains are often performed in mixed techniques. Brugge lace perfectly complements the restrained geometry of loin knitting. The grid is great for decorating a composition from Irish lace.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Knitting Curtains by Your Own Hands
Curtains, crocheted or knitted, create a cozy home, beautiful patterns with diagrams and a step-by-step description of the process can be found on the web or in magazines for needlewomen. When planning a large-scale project, each step is thought through – this speeds up the process.
Stylishly look knitted curtains to the size of the window glass in the kitchen. Graceful and airy, they do not require the eaves to be hung, they easily go up and down. Step-by-step instruction and schemes for knitting curtains with loops:
You will need:
- cotton yarn at the rate of 400 m / 50 g – on the curtain will leave about 300 m;
- knitting is carried out by hook # 1;
- For fixing brass rings are needed – 6 for each curtain.
- The calculated width of the curtain is 60 cells. Knitting begins with a set of chains of 180 air loops and 4 lifting loops;
- then knit according to the scheme, alternating empty and filled cells as indicated in the figure below;
- height of the curtain – 181 rows;
- Before assembling the curtains are washed, straightened, starched and slightly stripped.
- to the upper edge of the sewing rings.
Detailed diagrams of each part and a detailed description of how to knit the first rows:
Note! In the drawing, white indicates empty squares, gray – filled cells. The contours of cats are formed from a grid, which gives the composition for the kitchen a fullness of air.
We knit with knitting needles
A spoke is not such a common tool for knitted curtains as a hook, although this method of knitting has a large number of openwork patterns. Essential difference – when knitting with knitting needles use woolen yarn, natural or with additives from synthetic fibers.
Curtains knitted with knitting needles are fluffy and cozy. It’s not exactly a summer option, but an idea for a cold season.
You will need:
- yarn (70% mohair, 30% silk) with a density of 210 m / 25 g of olive color;
- the estimated quantity is 250 g;
- spoke No. 6.5 (2 pcs.);
- hook number 6.
The size of the finished product is 165 cm x 285 cm, the knitting density is 13.5 loops x 14 rows = 10 x 10 cm.
As with the binding of any product, the front, back and hinges alternate, as shown in the diagram:
- pick up 223 loops and knit one purl series with facial loops;
- knit 10 rapports with a lace pattern according to the scheme;
- through 128 cm from the first row begin to nullify the openwork pattern – 1, 4 and 10 rapport are performed with the front surface;
- alternate rapports as follows: through 2 rapports knit the 8th, and then through every second rapport = 6th and 11th, 2nd, 3rd, 9th and 5th – facial smoothness;
- 7 more rapports are made two more, then all the remaining loops height of 29 cm face surface and freely closed;
- long sides and the upper edge of the crochet – 1 row column without a crochet and 1 row “step by step”;
- the top edge of the curtain is turned to the wrong side by 15 cm and sewed;
- at a distance of 10 cm from the edge of the plot another line and get two kulisks.
Note! The finished product is moistened, stretched to size, avoiding distortions and left to dry completely.
How and where to hang
When the creative process is completed, a pressing and practical question arises about the location of the finished product. There are more options than it may seem:
- the doorway, decorated with a curtain, creates an atmosphere of privacy – the kitchen turns into a cozy corner that you do not want to leave;
- The kitchen window is the most common object for applying fantasies;
- decorate the curtains garters and garters – the element is the final accent, giving completeness to the design of the window or door;
- Open shelves in the kitchen can be closed with knitted curtains – you will get a harmonious set;
- on an apron at a plate will perfectly look connected by the hands openwork tack.
Also, space for creativity is provided by ways of placing curtains:
- cornices of various configurations;
- strings with rings;
- fastening directly to the window frame or separate parts of the binding.
Be sure to check the strength of the structure before you hang the finished product. The weight of the curtains in the floor can reach 2-3 kg, depending on the type of knitting and the thickness of the yarn.
Therefore, creative plans should be coordinated with professionals who thoroughly know how to properly connect and hang a dream curtain.